Skillet Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken
So much cheese. So much CHEESE! This is like Chicken Parmigiana – inside out. Because it’s stuffed with cheese and tomato and…cheese.
Write a review
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets (or cutlets)
- Salt to season
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons garlic and herb flavoured tomato paste (or flavour of choice)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (Extra)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder, divided (or extra salt)
- 10 thin slices Mozzarella cheese
- 1 bottle Pasta/Marinara Sauce
- Preheat oven to 230C | 450F. Lightly pound fillets between sheets of parchment/baking paper to ¼-inch thickness using a mallet. Pat chicken dry; season with salt.
- In a shallow medium-sized bowl, whisk the the egg, garlic powder and salt together. Set aside. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, panko, basil and parmesan cheese.
- Spread 1 tablespoon tomato paste over one side of each fillet; top with parsley, garlic powder and vegetable stock powder; place one slice of mozzarella onto each half of a fillet; roll each fillet (starting from the cheese end) and place seam side down. (Seal with a toothpick if needed).
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or oven-proof frying pan) over medium heat. Evenly coat the rolled chicken fillets into the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the chicken (seam side down again) into the preheated skillet/pan and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes until the coating is golden brown and the cheese on the inside has melted.
- Reduce heat to low and pour in the pasta sauce. Move the chicken around with tongs so the sauce is evenly covered over the base of the pan; allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour some sauce from the pan over each chicken; place skillet/pan in the oven to cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven; top each chicken roll with remaining cheese slices; return to oven and allow to grill/broil on medium heat until cheese has melted over the top. Garnish with extra dried parsley and Italian herbs.
- Serve warm over pasta; mashed potatoes or with a salad.